E-ZPass® Frequently Asked Questions List
For your convenience, we've highlighted a few of the most commonly asked questions. Click on the question to get the answer.
- Where can I use E-ZPass®?
- How much will I save by using E-ZPass?
- How can I find out about commercial vehicle restrictions at MTA Bridges and Tunnels facilities?
- How can I identify if my E-ZPass® was issued by the MTA?
- What if I have more than one vehicle?
- How can I pay for my account?
- How will I keep track of my account?
- Isn't there someplace else I can mount my E-ZPass® other than the windshield?
- I need receipts for business. Will I still get them in the E-ZPass® lanes?
- Do I have to set up a separate account for every car I own?
- What if my monthly toll usage exceeds my monthly payment?
- What happens if my account balance reaches zero?
- Will my name and address be shared with other mailing lists?
- How do I sign up for E-ZPass On-the-Go?
- You've shown me lots of options, but can you tell me the best way to get the most convenience out of E-ZPass®?
- Other questions?
- MTA Bridges & Tunnels Facilities
- New York City Area Facilities
- Any of the participating 25 agencies in 14 states.
A. You can find the current crossing charges by following this link:
A. Follow this link to the Rules & Regulations section: http://web.mta.info/bandt/regs.html
Please see Part 1021.2 on pages 2-4 of the rules for information about vehicle restrictions.
A. Verify that the first three digits of your tag begin with 008
Q. What if I have more than one vehicle?
A. Each account can have up to four E-ZPass® Tags. Extra mounting strips will be provided if you want to move your E-ZPass® Tag between vehicles. However, all vehicles that use the same Tag must be the same vehicle type and must be mounted correctly on the windshield.
A. You may conveniently and automatically make a payment to your account by credit card (recommended), one-time payment on the web @ e-zpassny.com, or you may pay by check or money order. Checks and money orders should be made out to MTA B&T E-ZPass® and mailed to:
E-ZPass® Customer Service Center
PO Box 149002
Staten Island, New York 10314-9002
A. You will receive a bi-monthly statement which will detail all transactions by tag, location and tolls, as well as any payments you have made. You can call 1-800- 333-TOLL at any time to check your account status. You may also opt to receive a free monthly e-mail statement instead of a bi-monthly statement, or a monthly statement by mail at an annual charge of $6.00 ($0.50 per month).
If your E-ZPass® account balance drops below the minimum required, a reminder message "LOW BALANCE" will flash as you pass through the toll lane. This means that your account is almost out of money and you must make a payment as soon as possible, before it runs out.
A. Put simply, NO! Unless your E-ZPass® is mounted exactly as shown, it may not be "read" by our antenna. If this happens, you'll get a red light and the gate will stay down, even if your account is valid. That means that you and all the E-ZPass® customers behind you will be delayed, and you bought E-ZPass® to avoid delays.
Placing the tag on the sun visor, the rearview mirror, the dashboard, the seat, or in your hand may work sometimes but will not work all the time. Why take the chance? Mount it exactly as shown on the instructions that come with your E-ZPass®.
A. No, a receipt is just one more thing to slow you down. You'll get a bi-monthly statement by mail or monthly statement by e-mail with all the information you need. It's neater and easier than saving scraps of paper. Your current toll transactions are available at www.e-zpassny.com
A. No, each vehicle should be listed on your application. You may interchange your tag among your vehicles, or you may purchase a tag for each vehicle. You may have up to four tags for each account.
A. Your toll usage will be reviewed periodically. If your monthly activity exceeds your current monthly payment, we will increase the replenishment amount to a more appropriate level and you will be notified in writing.
A. If you are a credit card customer, you don't have to worry about your account running out of money. If you are a check or cash customer and your account reaches zero, when you attempt to use your tag in an E-ZPass® lane, you will get a red light and will not be allowed to pass through the lane. You will be required to pay the full toll in cash.
A. No, we respect the privacy of our customers and will not make the list of E-ZPass® customers available to anyone.
A. Visit our On-the-Go page
A. Sure, follow these steps:
- Use a credit card to open your E-ZPass® account.
- Install your E-ZPass® on the inside of your windshield, exactly as shown on the instructions that come with your E-ZPass®.
- At the toll plaza, use the "E-ZPass® ONLY" lanes.
- Enter the lane slowly, but do NOT stop at the booth. Proceed slowly toward the barrier gate.
- When the gate rises, proceed promptly on your way.
A. You'll receive complete details with your E-ZPass®. And you can always call our toll free number 1-800-333-TOLL (8655), or visit the E-ZPass New York web site when you need further information.
- Google Translate