Latest Newsletter updates
Construction Look Ahead Through April 2013
96th Street Station Area
- Intermittent street closings will continue between 93rd, 94th and 95th Streets between First and Second Avenues and between Second and Third Avenues on 94th Street. Street closures are necessary for project-wide excavation and structural work.
- Mainline excavation under Second Avenue between 95th and 99th Streets is currently wrapping up and is expected to be complete by March 2013. Mass excavation is scheduled to be complete project-wide by May 2013 when the excavation of the entrances and ancillary buildings is complete.
- The contractor will be temporarily eliminating parking on 105th Street mid-block between Second and First Avenues in order to install two electrical manholes. Up to fifteen parking spots will be removed during this time as work commences on the north side of East 105th Street and then moves to the south side of East 105th. This work is expected to be complete by April.
- Demolition of the concrete benches (concrete platforms) in the existing north tunnel, from 99th to 105th Streets has been completed and construction of the new benches has begun.
- Structural repairs in the existing north tunnel between 99th and 105th Streets are continuing.
- Continued installation of the concrete invert (base) slab underneath Second Avenue between 95th and 99th Streets in areas where the excavation is complete.
- Installation of waterproofing and concrete invert (base) slab in the launch box under Second Avenue between 92nd and 93rd Streets has been completed and construction of the concrete walls that will support the second mezzanine level slab under Second Avenue between 92nd and 93rd Streets has begun.
- Removal of the bulkhead at 99th Street that separates the existing north tunnel from the new construction is continuing.
- Removal of lower level struts that have temporarily braced the slurry walls between 92nd and 95th Streets has been completed.
- Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Work is permitted underground 24/7.
86th Street Station Area
- Contractor will continue working in the center work zone between 78th and 79th Street. Work activities will include removing an abandoned Con Edison steam main and building a new manhole. This work requires a new traffic pattern of three lanes on the West side of Second Avenue and one lane on the East side of Second Avenue. The traffic pattern is expected to return to two lanes of traffic on both sides of the center work zone by mid-April when the work is completed.
- Continue loading out shot rock with muck conveyance systems at 83rd – 84th Streets and 86th – 87th Streets.
- Load out trailers of rock muck from Ancillary #2. (northwest corner of 86th Street).
- Contractor will continue construction of a (SOE) support of excavation wall for Entrance 2 on the northeast side of 86th Street.
- Continue drill and blast excavation at Ancillary 2 (northwest corner of 86th Street).
- Continue drill and blast excavation for the North Cavern bottom bench and Entrance 2 underground passageway.
- Continue drill and blast excavation for the South Cavern bottom bench.
- Continue mechanical rock removal for Entrance 1 underground passageway.
- As of February18, 2013,the 86th Street Station Cavern from 87th Street to 83rd Street is approximately 71 percent excavated.
- As of February 18th, 2013, 447 controlled blasts have been completed. All controlled blasting for the 86th Street Station is expected to be completed by late summer of 2013.
Blasting Hours- 8:00AM to 8:00PM
72nd Street Station Area
- Drill and blast excavation activities will continue at Ancillary 1, Ancillary 2 and Entrance 3.
- Concrete truck staging will continue between 74th/75th Streets and 75th/76th Streets. Additional truck staging may occur between 78th - 79th Streets.
- Installation of waterproofing, steel reinforcement and concrete lining of all underground structures, i.e. station caverns, tunnels, etc., is now underway.
- Late night deliveries of steel reinforcement materials for concrete lining work will continue. occuring up to 5 nights a week due to wide load restrictions.
- Various arch and wall forms for the final concrete lining of the station cavern and tunnels will be delivered and installed.
63rd St / Lexington Av Station Area
- Continue concrete delivery and washout at all three Maintenance and Protection of Traffic (MPT) zones for pours at underground areas.
- Continue hoisting structural steel and other material in/out at Plaza and access hatches.
- Continue intermittent delivery of mechanical equipment to west fan plant via hatch at Barbizon.
- Complete installation of new electrical service feeders in front of 151 E 63rd Street.
- Continue construction work inside 124 E 63rd Street for Ancillary 1.
- Continue construction within 200 E63rd Street for Entrance 1.
MONDAY - FRIDAY, 7:00 AM TO 10:00 PM
SATURDAY, 10:00 AM TO 7:00 PM
WORK UNDER DECKING PERMITTED 24 HOURS
BE ADVISED: Con Ed, Empire City Subway and Verizon may be performing cable and gas line work outside regular SAS construction Hours. If you have additional questions, please contact the Second Avenue Subway Hotline 24 hours/7 days a week at (212) 792-9716.
MPT/TRAFFIC UPDATES as of November 30, 2012
96th Street Station Area
103rd to 91st Streets
- Four lanes of traffic on the East side 103rd Street to 101st Street
- Three lanes of traffic on the West side 101st Street to 96th Street
- Four lanes of traffic on the West side of Second Avenue 96th Street to 91st Street
- Work Zones will be set up on the East side of Second Avenue
- No Standing Any Time on the West side of Second Avenue 101st Street to 96th Street
- Four lanes of traffic currently on West side of Second Avenue
- Truck Loading and Unloading West side of Second Avenue 93rd to 91st Streets
- Parking permitted on West Side 7PM-7AM Weekdays and all day Saturday
86th Street Station Area87th to 82nd Streets
- From 88th Street to 82nd Street: Four lanes of traffic West side of Second Avenue
- No Standing Anytime on the West side of Second Avenue 88th Street to 87th Street
- No Standing Anytime on the West side Second Avenue except for loading and unloading between 85th and 82nd Streets
- DOT Permits for Truck Layover Lanes between 90th and 88th Streets
72nd Street Station Area74th to 66th Streets
- Work zone is set up on the East side of Second Avenue
- The East side Work Zone will be approximately 40 feet wide, plus 7-foot sidewalk
- No Standing Any Time on the West side of Second Avenue between 66th and 67th Street, 69th and 70th, and 72nd and 73rd Streets
- No Standing on West side except trucks loading and unloading 10AM to 4PM between 70th and 72nd, and 73rd to 74th Streets
- Truck Layover Zone: No Standing Any Time on the East side of Second Avenue between 74th and 75th Street
- Parking ALLOWED on East side 7PM-7AM weekdays and all day Saturday & Sunday
- DOT Permits for Truck Layover Lanes between 74th and 76th Streets
Lexington Ave/63rd> Street Station Area63rd Street
- No Standing Any Time on 63rd Street between Second and Third Avenues, except for School Bus Loading Zone in front of 213 East 63rd Street
- No Standing Any Time on 63rd St between 3rd Avenue and Lexington Avenue. Two lanes of traffic maintained, with sporadic temporary closures to one lane
- No Standing Any Time on 63rd St for about 180 feet west of Lexington Avenue. Two lanes of traffic maintained
If you have additional questions, please visit the Keeping in Touch page for contact information
- Google Translate