Service Reductions Due to Budget Cuts Take Effect Monday, May 17th with New LIRR Timetables
Customers should be certain to review the new schedules that will begin on May 17 as they include some train cancellations and changes to peak, midday and weekend service. Service reductions included in the May 17 timetable change are required to address the MTA’s nearly $800 million budget shortfall for 2010. The following changes are necessary to improve efficiency.
- The 7:40 AM train from Seaford to Atlantic Terminal will be canceled. As an alternative, the 7:33 AM train from Babylon to Atlantic Terminal will depart four minutes earlier at 7:29 AM, with stops added at Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin & Rockville Centre.
- The 4:39 PM train from Atlantic Terminal to Babylon will be canceled. As an alternative, the 4:37 PM train from Penn Station to Wantagh will have added stops at Jamaica, Lynbrook, Seaford, & all stops to Babylon. Brooklyn customers can take the 4:34 PM train from Atlantic Terminal and change at Jamaica.
- The 4:57 PM train from Penn Station to Wantagh will be canceled. Customers can take the 5:03 PM train from Penn Station, with added stops at Merrick, Bellmore & Wantagh.
Long Beach Branch
- The 5:40 PM train from Atlantic Terminal to Long Beach will be canceled. To accommodate customers, the 5:55 PM train from Penn Station to Long Beach will have a Jamaica stop added. Brooklyn customers can connect by taking the 5:49 PM train from Atlantic Terminal and changing at Jamaica.
Oyster Bay Branch
- The 4:54 PM train from LI City will leave 10 minutes earlier at 4:44 PM & a stop will be added at Hunterspoint Ave. at 4:59 PM.
- The weekend 1:35 AM train from Jamaica to Oyster Bay is canceled. Customers can take the earlier 11:45 PM train.
- The weekend 7:20 AM train from Oyster Bay to Jamaica is canceled. Customers can take either the 6:20 or 8:20 AM train.
Port Jefferson Branch
- The 5:11 PM train from Hunterspoint Avenue will be partially canceled and will instead originate in Huntington at 6:15 PM. Customers can connect with this train by taking a 4:59 PM departure from Hunterspoint Avenue, and the 5:06 PM train from Penn Station to Huntington, which will have added Jamaica and Mineola stops.
- The 4:05 PM train from Port Jefferson will now terminate in Huntington, where it will connect for service to western terminals.
Port Washington Branch
- The 4:43 PM train from Penn Station to Port Washington will be canceled. Customers can instead take the 4:22 PM train from Penn Station. Later options include the 4:46 PM train for those going to Great Neck. Customers going to Manhasset, Plandome & Port Washington can take the 5:11 PM train from Penn.
Adjustments to some off-peak midday and overnight trains are also necessary to accommodate track work and construction projects. New branch timetables dated May 17 - September 12, 2010 are available at LIRR stations and western terminals.
The Perfect “Staycation”
“Staying” closer-to-home and looking for alternatives to going away this summer? From day-trips to beautiful beaches to weekend escapes on Fire Island and picturesque North Fork villages, this season’s LIRR packages will make you wonder why you ever considered vacationing anywhere else. Our 2010 Beach Getaways feature something for everyone, including Jones Beach, Long Beach and Robert Moses getaways, discounted trips to Fire Island beach-towns and a Captree Fishing option.
If you haven’t been to the North Fork of Long Island in a while, don’t miss our new North Fork Villages Package. Beginning June 1, this package will allow you to enjoy the heart of Long Island’s wine region, where you can explore quaint villages and local attractions. This year’s LI Wine & Food Festival takes place June 25-27 in Greenport. Enjoy our relaxing train ride to this fun event, in addition to $5.00 off the admission price and discounts to local restaurants, wineries and other participating merchants. Additional details will be featured on our website later this month.
Subway Series - Part One
“Catch” the first Subway Series of the season, when the Mets host the Yankees at CitiField on Friday, Saturday
and Sunday, May 21, 22 and 23. Additional service will be provided, so be sure to “Take the Train to the Game,”
as the heat and excitement generated whenever the two teams square off will make these games a Grand Slam. Check our website for details. Please note: Mets-Willets Point Station is NOT wheelchair accessible.
Miles of Smiles: The Story of Roxey, the Long Island Rail Road Dog
This new children’s book by Long Island author Heather Hill Worthington is scheduled for publication on May 24, and highlights the travels of Roxey, an unofficial mascot who wandered the railroad’s system more than 100 years ago. Roxey was loved and sheltered by employees and customers alike, and the heart-warming tale recounted in this work of “historical fiction” is sure to add “Miles of Smiles” to readers of all ages. On the morning of May 25, the author will be in Penn Station to autograph copies of her book for LIRR customers.
Extra Memorial Day Service
On Friday, May 28, the LIRR will provide eight extra early-afternoon trains for those getting a head start on the holiday weekend. This traditional getaway service will include three trains each for the Babylon and Huntington lines, and one each for the Far Rockaway and Port Washington branches. Check the new branch timetables for details.
LIRR Fare Info From CooCoo
LIRR customers can now get fare information via cell phone text message from CooCoo, the LI-based text engine company that’s already providing train times via cell phone. Texting your travel request to 266266 (that spells CooCoo) gets you the train departure/arrival time you need and now it provides ticket prices as well - in seconds.
April’s On Time Performance
April’s OTP was 91.53%.
- Google Translate