EXTREMELY LIMITED LIRR SERVICE WEEKEND NOVEMBER 6-7
Replacement of a critical signal system, which controls train traffic, will bring state-of-the-art technology to a key juncture in Jamaica. The Jamaica Signal Cutover Project will replace
1910-era signal technology with modern microprocessors. When completed, it will mean fewer maintenance-related delays and better service for LIRR customers.
- Know before you go: consult www.mta.info and pick up a special weekend timetable.
- Please allow an additional 70 minutes of travel time.
- We recommend using the LIRR for essential business travel only.
- To avoid busing and subway connections, those heading to the NYC Marathon should use the Babylon, Long Beach or Port Washington branches for direct service to Penn Station.
- Very limited service between Penn Station and Jamaica.
- Many customers will need to transfer to the E train, which will operate between Jamaica and Penn Station. Access to LIRR platforms at Jamaica will be limited.
- NYC Transit will honor LIRR tickets on the E train at Sutphin-Archer Av (below Jamaica Station) and at Penn Station.
There will be NO SERVICE to/from:
- Atlantic Terminal, East New York, Forest Hills, Hollis, New Hyde Park, Kew Gardens, Laurelton, Locust Manor, Merillon Avenue, Nostrand Avenue, Rosedale or St. Albans.
North Shore service:
- Hempstead Branch: Service to Queens Village will operate every 2 hours (reduced from hourly service). Buses will replace trains between Queens Village and Jamaica, with transfers to subway at Jamaica.
- Huntington trains: Service to Mineola will operate hourly (reduced from half-hourly). Buses will replace trains between Mineola and Jamaica, with transfers to subway at Jamaica.
- Oyster Bay Branch: Service to Mineola will operate every 2 hours. Buses replace trains between Mineola and Jamaica, with transfers to subway at Jamaica.
- Port Jefferson Branch: Service to Huntington operates every 2 hours (reduced from every 1½ hours). Buses replace trains between Mineola &Jamaica, with transfers to subway at Jamaica.
- Port Washington Branch trains are not affected to/from Penn Station and will serve Woodside station. There will be half-hourly service on the Port Washington Branch from 9 AM - 1 PM (westbound) and 4 PM - 8 PM (eastbound).
South Shore service:
- Babylon Branch service reduced to hourly. Montauk Branch diesel trains will connect at Babylon.
- Far Rockaway Branch service originates/terminates at Valley Stream connecting with Long Beach trains.
- Hourly Long Beach Branch service to/from Penn Station.
- Ronkonkoma Branch trains will bererouted to the south shore between 7 AM and 11 PM. During the overnight hours, trains will operate to Mineola for bus/subway connection.
Pick up a special timetable/brochure or call the LIRR Travel Information Center at 718-217-5477. Thank you for your patience while we perform this critical infrastructure improvement.
NYC Marathon - November 7
Those planning to take the LIRR to/from the NYC Marathon on Sunday, November 7 should anticipate and plan for additional travel time. To avoid busing and subway transfers, customers heading to the Marathon should use the Babylon, Long Beach or Port Washington branches for direct service to Penn Station. Please consult special weekend timetables for departure times on these branches. The special weekend timetables are available at LIRR stations and online.
There will be half-hourly service on the Port Washington Branch from 9 AM - 1 PM (westbound) and 4 PM - 8 PM (eastbound).
Parking at the following stations is free and unrestricted (no esidency permit required) on weekends:
Babylon Branch: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport and Baldwin Long Beach Branch: Oceanside and Lynbrook
Port Washington Branch: Manhasset and Little Neck
Extra Thanksgiving Service
On Wednesday, November 24, extra Holiday Eve early getaway trains will run from Penn Station. On Thanksgiving Day, November 25, we will provide extra "parade" trains. We will operate a regular weekday schedule on the Friday after Thanksgiving, with off-peak fares in effect all day. Review the timetables for the details. Please remember -- no alcohol will be allowed on LIRR trains from 8 PM Wednesday, November 24 through 8 AM Thursday, November 25.
Coat Drive 2010
For 22 years New York Cares and the LIRR have worked together collecting coats to keep some of our neighbors-in-need warm. From December 1 through December 31, volunteers will be on hand at Penn Station to accept your clean, wearable winter clothing. Please bring your donations on any weekday in December except Christmas Day) to the collection center near the 34th Street escalators from 7:30 AM to 9:30 AM. Last year, you helped us keep over 70,000 people warm. New York Cares, the LIRR … and those who will be helped by your thoughtfulness … say "Thank you."
New Schedule - November 15
A new schedule will take effect on Monday, November 15. A Friday-only train will be added on the Port Washington Branch in order to provide additional before-sundown service during the winter. The train will depart Penn Station at 3:18 PM. Similar Friday-only service will resume on the Far Rockaway Branch departing Penn Station at 2:39 PM. The schedules will be available starting the week of November 8. A preview will also be available on the MTA Long Island Rail Road website.
Our OTP came in at 93.6% in October.
- Google Translate