Getaway on Your Own
Spotlight Events: New York City
Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum
One of the most successful ships in US history is now a national historic landmark, and one of the most unique attractions in New York City. In 1943, the USS Intrepid aircraft carrier was commissioned for service in World War II and went on to serve as a primary recovery vessel for NASA and then in Vietnam. Today the museum features a range of interactive exhibits and events that make Intrepid a snapshot of heroism, education, and excitement. Located at the new park-like Pier 86, the complex boasts 30 restored aircrafts, a former USS Growler submarine and the Concorde. The Intrepid Museum is a dynamic adventure for visitors of all ages and offers group packages, member benefits, birthday parties, special event packages and educational programs.
- 12th Avenue and 46th Street
- Use Penn 34th Street Entrance; walk west to 12th Avenue or take the M34 crosstown bus from 34th Street and 8th Avenue.
- LIRR Discount Package
- LIRR Schedules
Gray Line Sightseeing
A great way to see New York City: Explore various neighborhoods in Manhattan or Brooklyn on Gray Line's hop-on, hop-off double-decker buses. Spend as much time as you like at one stop, re-board a bus and continue on to the next neighborhood.
- Walk west from Penn 34th Street entrance to 8th Avenue; proceed uptown to 777 Eighth Avenue.
- C or E uptown to 50th St. (8th Avenue)
- LIRR Discount Package
- LIRR Schedules
For more travel ideas on NYC visit:
- Free in NYC
- NYCgo.com (Offers a list of things to do for free, and other itineraries for those in need of ideas for fun trips and places to visit).
Spotlight Events: Long Island
Only a 50-minute train ride from Penn Station, Long Beach offers fall getaway opportunities that rival those of other seaside resorts. Take a walk along the newly restored and famous Long Beach boardwalk and then enjoy one of the many great restaurants and bars within walking distance or in the West end of town. It’s also a quick trip from Brooklyn’s Atlantic Terminal. Hourly train service to Long Beach provides a great opportunity for a quick getaway.
Great LIRR service to the Hamptons and Montauk continues with our express Montauk train leaving Penn Station every Friday at 4:06 PM with the first stop some 94 minutes later at Westhampton. In addition, the LIRR offers The Montauk Village & Golf Package to help customers discover the natural beauty at the tip of Long Island. Package includes discounted round-trip rail, taxi stubs to town, and a deals coupon with discounts at participating merchants. For golf lovers, a legendary course with ocean views is open 364 days of the year. Take advantage of our Montauk Village Package - offered daily (call 631-668-2428 for Montauk Chamber of Commerce information).
The Sagtikos Manor was built in 1697, and expanded in 1772 and 1902. The estate served as headquarters for the British Army on Long Island for a brief time during the Revolutionary War. President George Washington stayed there during his tour of Long Island in 1790.
- West Bay Shore. Call for dates and times (631-854-0939)
- LIRR Schedules (Taxi 631-665-4800)
Seatuck Environmental Center
Encounter the wild world of Long Island in these unique programs designed for children ages 3-5 and at least one accompanying adult. Fun for the whole family waits as you explore Long Island's natural world!
- Various dates and times (631- 581-6908)
- Various locations in Suffolk County
For more travel ideas on Long Island visit:
- Discover Long Island
- Gold Coast Mansions/Historic LI
- Long Island Arts Alliance
- Long Island Events
- Long Island Wine Country
- LIRR NYC Getaways
- LIRR One-Day Getaways
- North Shore Heritage and Culture
Ways to Save on Train Travel
- Small groups of adults can save with LIRR Off-Peak Ten Trip tickets which offer 15% off fares and can be shared. These tickets are good for six months and are available at "Ticket" machines and offices.
- Groups of 30 or more can save with LIRR Group Rates, however smaller groups (15 or more) may also save by paying this rate for 30 people. Call 511, say LIRR, then "Group Travel" to make a reservation.
- Family Travel Tip: The LIRR Family Fare allows up to four children, ages 5-11, to travel for 75 cents each way on off-peak trains when accompanied by an adult; children under 5 ride free.
Enjoy your trip and thank you for riding the Long Island Rail Road.
- Google Translate