Long Island Getaways
Greenport Tall Ships
Take the LIRR and Save $10
Saturday & Sunday, May 26 & 27 ONLY
The Tall Ships Challenge®
The TALL SHIPS CHALLENGE Race is a series of sailing races, cruises, crew rallies and maritime festivals organized by Tall Ships America in conjunction with US and Canadian ports on the Pacific and Atlantic Coasts of North America and in the Great Lakes. Greenport will be the second port to host the Tall Ships fleet this year. The sail begins in Savannah, Georgia, races up the East Coast to Greenport, then to Newport, Rhode Island and Halifax, Nova Scotia. Ticket holders will board the extraordinary sailing vessels and interact with crew members and sailing trainees. People of all ages will thrill at the size and scope of these historic vessels which evoke images of adventures at sea. This year’s TALL SHIPS CHALLENGE will commemorate the Bicentennial of the War of 1812, with celebrations and festivals along the Atlantic Coast. This is truly a one-of-a-kind experience!
Greenport Village is proud to be a host port for this spectacular event. Activities will take place within walking distance from the Greenport Train Station. Entertainment, exhibitions and displays will be at Mitchell Park. Merchants and restaurants will create a festival atmosphere offering fine dining and street side refreshments. The Carousel will also be open from 10am – 6pm daily. For more information, visit the Village of Greenport website.
Event Times: 10 AM - 6 PM
LIRR "Greenport Tall Ships" Package
This package is available for sale at open ticket offices and "Tickets" machines starting in early May through Sunday, May 27th. (not available on-board trains). Package includes:
- Round-trip rail to/from Greenport station
- LIRR Customer Tall Ships Admission Ticket (go directly to TICKET HOLDERS line at Greenport)
CUSTOMERS at MEDFORD, YAPHANK, RIVERHEAD, MATTITUCK & SOUTHOLD may select from the following options:
- BUY LIRR PACKAGE IN ADVANCE - If you are traveling prior to the weekend, purchase the package in advance (not available from red "Daily" machines such as the one at Medford; see station information for sales availability).
- BUY LIRR TICKETS ON-BOARD & GET A COUPON - Customers who buy LIRR tickets onboard the Ronkonkoma to Greenport trains on Saturday or Sunday May 26 &27 will get a coupon. Show this coupon at the "NON-TICKET HOLDERS" line in Greenport; adults/seniors will pay only $5 and children 4-12 will get in free with the coupon (see children's note).
NO BICYCLES - Due to large attendance, bicycles will not be permitted on trains or buses between Ronkonkoma and Greenport stations on Saturday & Sunday.
No Package/Added Service on Memorial Day - due to heavy holiday travel on diesel branches, the LIRR is NOT able to provide additional service, package ticket or coupons on Monday - Memorial Day.
Senior (65+) Package Price
|Adult Rail Onboard East of Ronkonkoma||Senior Rail Onboard East of Ronkonkoma|
|1||Penn Station, Atlantic Terminal, Woodside, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, East New York, Nostrand Ave||$41.50||$30||$1.50|
|4||New Hyde Park, Merillon Ave, Mineola||$34||$19.50||$1.50|
|7||Carle Place, Westbury, Hicksville, Bethpage, Farmingdale||$32||$18.50||$1.50|
|9||Wyandanch, Deer Park||$27||$16||$1.50|
|10||Brentwood, Central Islip, Ronkonkoma;
Medford (no full service machine)....
|14||Riverhead, Mattituck, Southold||$10.50||$7.50||$1.50||$5.50*||$2.50*|
- On the LIRR up to four children, ages 5-11, may accompany each adult for $1.50 roundtrip; children under 5 ride free. A FREE admission ticket will be included in packages purchased at ticket offices or machines.
- LIRR Train Staff on the connecting trains from Ronkonkoma to Greenport will have LIRR COUPONS that can be used for children 4-12 to get in free.
- Please make sure you have either an admission ticket or a coupon for children 4-12 to avoid a charge at the Tall Ships. Only children 3 and under will be allowed in free at the Tall Ships without a coupon or admission ticket.
Rail tickets are valid for 30 days from date of sale, refundable for 30 days from date of sale (full package only - all stubs returned unused) - subject to $10 refund processing fee per transaction. Admission Tickets and Coupons have no cash value and are good for one person each, on one day.
Getting There - Take Ronkonkoma Branch trains and transfer at Ronkonkoma station to the Greenport bi-level trains listed below. This list includes extra service available Saturday & Sunday only. Customers can get schedule information from your boarding to Greenport using Schedules & Fares. Customers can also text station names (i.e."Ronkonkoma to Greenport") to CooCoo (266266) for instant train times.
|To Greenport - Eastbound|
|From Greenport - Westbound|
*Bus will be provided between Riverhead and Ronkonkoma; bus connection times are not guaranteed.
The LIRR is not responsible for tickets sold by third party vendors to the Tall Ships.For Travel information, see schedules or call 511and say "LIRR".
All train times, prices and dates may be subject to change.
- Google Translate