Hamptons Coach Service (Off-Season)
New for 2013 - Premium Express Cannonball Non-Stop Service: NYC-Hamptons
Welcome to the LIRR's all-new 2013 Hamptons service. This year, for the first time in our history, the LIRR’s Cannonball will feature a non-stop express from Penn Station and the first stop :94 minutes later will be at Westhampton. Besides flying, we are the fastest way to the Hamptons and we are proud to help you reach your destination even faster this year. In addition, new for 2013, the LIRR will offer Cannonball Service returning on Sunday evenings from the Hamptons.
In prior years, Cannonball service originated from the Hunterspoint Avenue Terminal in Long Island City. LIRR customers will still be able to catch other Montauk-bound trains at Hunterspoint Avenue on Thursday and Friday afternoons, with connecting service from Penn Station and Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn. To alleviate crowding, extra LIRR trains have been added for this summer season on the Montauk branch through the Labor Day Weekend.
ALL-NEW FOR 2013:
Friday - Cannonball East - Penn Station Departure: The Cannonball will depart from Penn Station at 4:07 PM, and does NOT stop at Jamaica. The Cannonball runs non-stop express to Westhampton (94 minutes later) arriving at 5:41 PM, Southampton at 6:03 PM, Bridgehampton at 6:13 PM, East Hampton at 6:25 PM and will complete its journey in Montauk, arriving at 6:48 PM.
- Sunday - Cannonball West Service: On Sundays, the all-new Cannonball (West) will leave Montauk at 6:37 PM, East Hampton at 7:01 PM, Bridgehampton at 7:10 PM, Southampton at 7:20 PM, Hampton Bays at 7:31 PM and Westhampton at 7:39 PM. The train will then run express to Jamaica, arriving at 9:09 PM and complete its journey at Penn Station, arriving at 9:31 PM.
Though the Hamptons are bustling during the summer season, the South Fork of Long Island can be an enjoyable and even more relaxing place off-season without the crowds. Visit the wineries at harvest time, check out the foliage, go pumpkin picking, buy fresh produce at local farmstands, stroll the beaches, shop in the quaint villages or eat at the fabulous restaurants you couldn't get into this summer. Below are some tips on taking the train:
LIRR one way/round trip tickets are valid for 60 days from date of sale; ten trip tickets are valid for 6 months. Tickets are refundable within 60 days from date of sale, subject to a $10 processing fee. We suggest you purchase ten trip tickets to save time and share with friends!
Customers can enjoy a smoother, more comfortable ride in our bi-level air-conditioned coaches with ergonomically designed (comfortable) two-by-two seating.
Montauk Branch Service
Service to the Hamptons is available on our Montauk Branch. Train schedules by station or branch are available on line, customized for your travel needs at Schedules & Fares or All Train Schedules. You can also obtain convenient pocket-sized schedules for your particular station at Penn or Hamptons stations.
Buy Before Boarding - Save Money
The one-way fare to the Hamptons is $19.75 off-peak and $27.00 for peak trains from New York City. We recommend that customers buy tickets before boarding, since the on-board fare is $26.00 off-peak and $33.00 for peak travel.
Buy a Ten-Trip ticket in advance You'll save time, by avoiding ticket lines each time you travel, and avoid that higher on-board fare. This ticket is good for six months and is also transferable, so you can share it with friends. The peak Ten-Trip is $270.00 and the off-peak Ten-Trip is $168.00.
Please be sure to purchase your rail ticket before boarding, since the on-board fare is higher. Our ticket offices accept credit and debit cards (please allow extra time).
Look for our easy-to-use touch-screen ticket machines to purchase your one-way, round-trip or 10-trip tickets. The ticket machines accept cash, credit and debit cards, and can be found at our terminal stations, as well as Westhampton, Hampton Bays, Southampton and East Hampton.
One way, round trip and Ten-Trip tickets are available from WebTicket. Postage is free and tickets arrive in 3-5 business days by mail. Hamptons Reserve tickets are not available thru WebTickets.
Station ServiceHunterspoint Avenue Station
Just a hop from Grand Central Terminal on the #7 subway, many of our Montauk trains depart from Hunterspoint Avenue. This is a convenient choice for customers traveling from the east side. A full-service ticket machine (gray) and a daily ticket machine (red) are available close to the ticket office. The ticket office will be available Friday afternoons during the summer. Please purchase your tickets before the day of your trip to avoid long lines. The Cannonball now departs from Penn Station non-stop express to the Hamptons.
The Cannonball now departs from Penn Station with all new premium express non-stop service to the Hamptons. Open 24/7, the terminal has several ticket machines located throughout the LIRR concourse and the ticket office is always open. Check the station destination boards or monitors for track assignments. Hamptons Reserve East Boarding: Use the Central Corridor (across from Kmart) or the West End Concourse near the 8th Avenue Subways (A, C, E) for easier access to the rear of the train at Penn.
Montauk trains normally platform on tracks 5 or 8, however, listen for announcements of track changes. Monitors are available at the ticket office and outside on Sutphin Boulevard by the platform staircases, as well as on the Mezzanine level. Also, there is an information booth on the platform between tracks 7 and 8. The Cannonball East will no longer stop in Jamaica. Please board other Montauk Branch trains or board the Cannonball at Penn Station at 4:07 PM.
Our Premier, Express Train
Serving eastbound travelers for over 100 years, the Cannonball (NOW leaving Penn Station at 4:07 PM) is a new premium express non-stop train to the Hamptons (first stop Westhampton in 94 minutes) in time for you to make Happy Hour.
Hamptons Reserve Service
Hamptons Reserve service will be available on Fridays from May 24th through August 30th and Sundays from May 27th to September 2nd. Cannonball (East) – Friday only May 24-August 30 and on Wednesday, July 3. Cannonball (West) – Sundays except Mondays on the Memorial Day and Labor Day Weekends. It will also run on Thursday, July 4th.
- Eastbound Customers: Placing a reservation guarantees you a seat and our courteous attendants serve beverages and snacks at your seat. Hamptons Reserve service is offered in the last two cars of the Cannonball. Seasonal and weekly reservations are available. Reservations require a credit card number. For information call 511 - say "LIRR" and speak to a friendly LIRR Customer Service Representative.
- Westbound Customers: Placing a reservation guarantees you a seat and our courteous attendants serve beverages and snacks at your seat. Hamptons Reserve service is offered in the front two cars of the Cannonball. Seasonal and weekly reservations are available. Reservations require a credit card number. For information call 511 - say "LIRR" and speak to a friendly LIRR Customer Service Representative.
- LIRR Hampton Reserve seat is good only for date printed on the ticket.
- LIRR Reserve Seat Tickets are refundable within 14 days from date printed on your ticket if cancelled within 24 hours of trip date.
- LIRR Rail Tickets are subject to a $10 processing fee
Customers who do not call to cancel by noon the Thursday before their reservation will not be eligible for a refund and will be charged on the following Monday.
Beverage Cars and Carts
You can get a cool beverage or snacks on the platform at Penn Station. The Cannonball East also has two beverage carts, located in the 3rd & 6th cars.
On-Board the Train
To identify the location of a restroom on your train please locate the four-digit car number prominently displayed inside and outside of the car. All restrooms can be found on cars with odd numbers (for example, 3091).
Our bi-level cars offer a luggage alcove at the end of each car as well as space under your seats and in overhead luggage racks. As a courtesy to your fellow customers, please do not put your luggage (or your feet) on the seats or block the aisle and/or doors.
Bicycles are not allowed on peak trains and seasonal Montauk weekend trains (between Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends). Please consult printed public timetables for specific bike train restrictions. Also, see LIRR Bicycle Policy Information.
Small pets are allowed on the trains, but they must be confined in closed, ventilated containers. Guide dogs for sight-impaired riders are permitted on all trains.
Cell Phone Courtesy
- Please be courteous and aware of others around you when using your cell phone.
- Keep your call short and to the point - fellow customers may be trying to sleep or relax.
- If you must engage in an extended phone conversation, move to the vestibule of the train to minimize impact on others.
- Use silent or vibrating ringer options.
- Refrain from accepting incoming calls when possible. If you must receive a call, keep your cell phone handy so you can answer quickly and keep it short.
- Utilize the cell phone’s caller ID or text messaging features to screen incoming calls. Let your voice mail manage non-urgent calls.
Have a nice trip!
- Google Translate