Port Washington Yard Track Extension Project
Port Washington Branch Benefits
In order to improve train service, the LIRR must be able to position trains in Port Washington for the beginning of the morning rush period. The track extensions allow the LIRR greater operational flexibility and support additional service in the busy single track area between Great Neck and Port Washington.
Benefits include the following:
- Up to nine more trains (3 during the AM peak, 6 during the PM peak) will be added to between Port Washington and Manhattan
- Additional express trains
- More available seats and fewer standees
- Extra service to/from Citi Field for Mets/US Open and other events.
- Significant travel time savings, especially for East Side-bound customers
- Improved access to highly-paid, highly-skilled Manhattan jobs
- Jobs and incomes on Long Island will also benefit as commuters spend their salaries in local stores, restaurants and other businesses.
The benefits will be immediate, but become especially important upon completion of East Side Access, which will allow customers to select a train to either Grand Central Terminal or Penn Station from their home station.
- Google Translate