Port Washington Yard Track Extension Project
Port Washington Branch - By The Numbers
- The first section of the Port Washington Branch was built in 1854 by the Flushing Railroad and terminated in Flushing. The North Shore Railroad extended the line to Great Neck in 1866, and the branch became part of the LIRR in the mid-1870’s.
- LIRR service to Port Washington began in 1898, after Port Washington residents persuaded the LIRR to bring the branch terminus to their hometown, requiring the construction of the Manhasset Viaduct. The viaduct was designed only to accommodate a single track operation – a constraint that remains to this day.
- The Port Washington LIRR station building dates from 1898. It was re modeled in 1930, and again in 1998 by the LIRR upon the station’s 100th Anniversary.
- 30% of employed Nassau residents commute to NYC; 1/3 commute using the LIRR.
- In 2012, ridership on the entire Port Washington Branch reached 15,000 customers per weekday morning.
- On Time Performance during the AM Peak on the branch was 88.2% in 1994 and has improved to 94.1% in 2012
- The LIRR estimates that almost half of Port Washington customers are headed for the East Side of Manhattan
- A significant percentage of Port Washington customers walk to the station (approx. 27%). Many customers drive and park, others are dropped off.
- Over 5,000 people live within 1/2 mile of Port Washington downtown.
- Google Translate