MetroCard Vending Machines
You can buy or add money to MetroCard at a MetroCard Vending Machine. MVMs are fast and easy to use.
The larger machines accept cash, credit cards or ATM/debit cards. The small MetroCard Vending Machines are for credit cards or ATM/debit cards only. They do not accept cash.
All you have to do to get started is touch the vending-machine screen. The screen will ask you what type of MetroCard you want and take you through the steps to buy it.
You can buy
- MetroCard from $5 to $100
- 7-Day or 30-Day Unlimited Pass
7-Day Express Bus Plus MetroCard
A SingleRide ticket costs $2.75 and is available for cash only at the large vending machines. The SingleRide ticket is good for a subway or bus trip only within two hours of purchase. It gives you a free bus-to-bus transfer but you don't get a free transfer between subway and bus.
More about MVMs
- Large MetroCard Vending Machines accept cash and can only return up to $6 in change. The change given includes dollar coins, not bills.
- You can request a receipt when you finish your purchase. It's always a good idea to request one or make note of the MVM number in case you have a question later.
- If there's a problem during your purchase, the MVM will automatically dispense a receipt. Be sure to keep it for proof of your transaction - it lists the machine number and the date.
- Reduced-Fare MetroCard customers can add money or unlimited rides to their cards at MetroCard Vending Machines.
- MetroCard Vending Machines meet all requirements of the Americans With Disabilities Act. An audio feature is available for the visually impaired; headsets are necessary for use. The machines can be used by those who read Braille.
- When a credit card is used at an MVM, the MVM will ask you to enter your zip code for verification. However, if your credit card account has a billing address outside of the United States, you are not subject to the zip code verification requirement. Instead, type in “99999” when prompted for a zip code. This will indicate to the MVM that an international credit card is being used, and the regular transaction authorization process will still take place.
- Google Translate