College Student Internship Program
- The College Student Internship Program - Our History and Your Future
- Choose from a Wide Variety of Disciplines
- Duration of Internship Assignments and Opportunity for College Credits
- Program Qualifications and Eligibility Requirements
- How to Apply
The College Student Internship Program - Our History and Your Future
Metro-North Railroad is committed to supporting the educational goals of students interested in careers in Transportation. Metro-North offers both paid and unpaid internships, including credit earning internships and/or internships approved by your Student Career Placement Office. This program is established to help students integrate classroom studies with learning through hands-on work experience that complement their academic training and career ambitions. Interns gain exposure to the operations of the railroad through technical and professional interactions.
MTA Metro-North Railroad, an organization with a vital role in the economy of New York State and Connecticut, is a subsidiary agency of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA), the largest such authority in the United States. Metro-North is a dynamic organization with a strong focus on customer service, safety, new technologies, and service expansion. With a staff of approximately 5,900 people, Metro-North serves more than one million customers per week over 384 miles of rail that link historic Grand Central Terminal (GCT) in New York City and 120 stations in New York State and Connecticut. More customers than ever are turning to Metro-North as a transportation of choice. Our commitment to sustainability and innovative way of how we do business puts us ahead of other Transportation Industries.
Choose from a Wide Range of Disciplines
The Internships will provide unique work experiences related to your degree discipline in the form of clearly defined projects with goals and expectations that will offer an educational opportunity not found in traditional course work. Positions could be in areas such as:
Duration of Internship Assignments and Opportunity for College Credits
Most internship assignments are approximately 8 to 12 weeks in duration and are part time (up to 35 hours per week). For paid internships, we offer competitive pay of $12.00/hr undergraduate and $15.00/hr graduate internship. You will receive a Metro-North train pass, which allows you free usage of our trains during your internship. As a member of our team you will discover all the great things the Metro-North Railroad has to offer and may interest you to get your career on the right track after graduation!
College Credit Internship
Metro-North Railroad encourages students to obtain college credits upon the completion of the program. However, the college or university officials at each institution have the final authority to grant credits for internship program. Students should discuss arrangements with their institutions prior to the start of the program.
Program Qualifications and Eligibility Requirements
- Applicants must be currently a matriculated college student at an accredited college or university, in overall good standing.
- Applicants must be 18 years or older and must have valid authorization to work in the United States.
- Applicants must be available and able to participate through the duration of the Internship program, as well as demonstrate a strong indication that you intend to complete the curriculum enrolled in order to obtain a degree
- Applicants must submit a completed application online, no later than the date specified.
How to Apply
In order to receive full consideration, applicants must complete an online application on our website, www.mta.info by the deadline date. Finalists identified will be called for an interview. Please note internship opportunities are posted only when available.
- Google Translate