New LIRR Train Schedules Start on Monday, February 24
February 24th, 2014
Two extra trains for the ride home on the Babylon branch, and other schedule changes have been made as new timetables took effect on Monday, February 24. The changes include the restoration of two PM Peak eastbound Babylon Branch trains eliminated in 2010 due to budget cuts.
The new train schedules for the LIRR’s 11 branches will be in effect through Sunday, May 18 and reflect the LIRR’s commitment to restore service based upon customer demand. It also reflects the Railroad efforts to keep its infrastructure in good repair. Some of the changes have been made to accommodate new and ongoing construction projects and track repair programs.
The newly restored service on the Babylon Branch includes:
- The 4:37 PM train from Penn Station to Babylon will revert to its former status as an express from Penn, first stop Rockville Centre, then all stops to Wantagh.
- The 4:39 PM train from Atlantic Terminal to Babylon will be restored to the schedule
- The 4:57 PM express train from Penn Station will be restored to the schedule, operating express from Penn to Merrick, then all stops to Wantagh
- The 5:03 PM train from Penn Station will continue to operate express to Rockville Centre, but will drop the stops at Merrick, Bellmore and Wantagh that were added in 2010 when the 4:57 PM train was discontinued.
Oyster Bay Branch
The 7:13 AM train from Oyster Bay to Long Island City will be have an added stop at Hunterspoint Avenue. The decision to add this stop came about as a direct result of customer requests for the service.
Long Beach Branch
As part of the LIRR’s continuing strengthening efforts following Superstorm Sandy, one of the two tracks between Valley Stream and Long Beach will be out of service on weekdays during the midday. To accommodate the work, eastbound midday Long Beach, Far Rockaway and Hempstead Branch trains will depart 30-36 minutes later.
Babylon, Ronkonkoma and Port Jefferson Branches
Also look for some minor midday schedule adjustments on the Babylon, Ronkonkoma and Port Jefferson (to Huntington) Branches. Buses will replace two midday trains between Riverhead and Greenport while new track ties are installed.
Main Line: Riverhead to Greenport
Starting Monday, February 24 through Friday, May 16, buses replace two midday trains on weekdays between Riverhead and Greenport as trackwork is performed. The affected trains are:
- The 11:27 AM train from Riverhead, scheduled to depart Mattituck at 11:43 AM, Southold at 11:57 AM, and Greenport at 12:07 PM, is canceled for scheduled track work. Customers will be accommodated at 11:37 AM by bus from Riverhead, scheduled to arrive in Mattituck at 11:53 AM, Southold at 12:07 PM and Greenport at 12:17 PM.
- The 12:42 PM train from Greenport, scheduled to depart Southold at 12:52 PM, Mattituck at 1:05 PM, and Riverhead at 1:21 PM, is canceled for scheduled track work. Customers will be accommodated at 2:31 PM by bus from Greenport, arriving at Southold at 12:41 PM, Mattituck at 12:55 PM and Riverhead at 1:11 PM.
Ongoing Construction Projects
Ongoing work on the giant East Side Access project and at Harold Interlocking in Sunnyside, Queens will impact service, as will lighting improvements inside the Atlantic Avenue Tunnel and the ongoing rehabilitation of Massapequa Station.
For More Information
For specific train times, please pick up a copy of the new February 24-May 18, 2014 timetable or consult mta.info/lirr. For additional information customers can go to LIRR’s website at www.mta.info or reach the LIRR's Customer Service Center by calling 511, the New York State Travel Information Line, and say “Long Island Rail Road,” when prompted. The deaf or hard of hearing can use their preferred relay service provider for the free 711 relay to reach the LIRR at 511. For immediate notice of service changes, sign up for email or text alerts at www.mymtaalerts.com.