LIRR Offers Extra Thanksgiving Weekend Service; Off-Peak & Family Fares In Effect
Take the Train and Avoid Traffic Delays
Avoid Lines, Buy LIRR Tickets & MetroCards in Advance
Alcohol Ban in Effect for Open Containers from 8 PM Wednesday through 5 AM Thanksgiving Day
Thanksgiving weekend is the official start for many to the busy holiday season and the MTA Long Island Rail Road is ready with additional service to get travelers where they want to be. Avoid traffic gridlock and parking fees by taking the railroad. Additional trains will be operating on Wednesday, November 24 and on Thanksgiving Day, November 25 and off-peak fares will be in effect for the entire four-day holiday weekend. On Black Friday, November 26, traditionally one of the busiest shopping days of the year, off-peak fares will be in effect all day, including the special Family Fare discount, while a full weekday train schedule will be in effect. Under the Family Fare program, up to four children ages 5-11 can ride trains that day for the advance purchase fare of 75-cents each (one-way) when accompanied by a fare-paying parent or guardian. Weekly and monthly ticket holders just pay for the kids. Children under five ride free.
Have a great train ride and follow these travel tips:
- Purchase before your go. Round trip tickets, including MetroCards for connecting subway and bus service, can be purchased in advance in order to save time and avoid lines at LIRR ticket windows and New York City Transit MetroCard windows and ticket machines.
- Use one of the LIRR's extra trains. On Thanksgiving Eve, Wednesday, November 24, there will be 10 extra trains departing Penn Station between 2:10 PM and 4:06 PM for customers leaving work early for the holiday.
- Be sober and responsible. Open alcoholic beverage containers will not be allowed on LIRR trains, stations and on platforms from 8:00 PM, Wednesday, November 24 through 5:00 AM, Thursday (Thanksgiving Day), November 25. MTA Police will enforce this restriction.
Wednesday, November 24:
On Wednesday, November 24, the extra afternoon service from Penn Station includes: three trains operating on the Babylon Branch, three on the Port Jefferson Branch (one to Hicksville, two to Huntington), two on the Port Washington Branch to Great Neck, one on the Far Rockaway Branch and one on the Montauk Branch.
Port Jefferson Branch to Hicksville/Huntington:
- 2:10 PM stopping at Jamaica, Carle Place, then all stops to Huntington
- 2:29 PM stopping at Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Jamaica, New Hyde Park, then all stops to Huntington
- 3:24 PM stopping at Jamaica, Mineola, Westbury and Hicksville
- 2:22 PM express to Lynbrook, then all stops to Babylon
- 3:00 PM stopping at Jamaica, Rockville Centre, then all stops to Babylon
- 3:31PM express to Rockville Centre, then all stops to Babylon
Port Washington Branch to Great Neck
- 3:18 PM stopping at Woodside, Flushing, then all stops to Great Neck
- 3:40 PM stopping at Woodside, Flushing, then all stops to Great Neck
Far Rockaway Branch
- 3:48 PM express to Locust Manor, then all stops to Far Rockaway
- The eastbound Montauk train that normally operates Fridays-only will operate on Wednesday, November 24. The train is the 4:06 PM from Hunterspoint Avenue, stopping at Jamaica, then operating express to Westhampton, making all local stops to Montauk. The 4:01 PM train from Penn Station to Huntington connects with the Montauk train at Jamaica.
Thanksgiving Day, November 25
Throughout Thanksgiving Day, a holiday schedule will be in effect. Twenty-two extra trains are being added to the holiday schedule for those attending the Parade or visiting their families – including nine extra westbound and 13 extra eastbound trains. Cars will also be added to select trains to accommodate holiday travelers.
Babylon Branch from Wantagh
- 7:13 AM and 7:45 AM trains from Wantagh, making all stops to Lynbrook, Jamaica and Penn Station
- 6:09 AM from Speonk, making all stops to Babylon, Jamaica and Penn Station
- 6:29 AM and 7:10 AM trains from Ronkonkoma, making all stops to Hicksville, Mineola, Jamaica and Penn Station
Port Jefferson Branch
- 6:39 AM from Port Jefferson making all stops to Huntington, Jamaica and Penn Station
Port Washington Branch
- 7:10 AM, 8:10 AM and 9:10 AM trains from Port Washington making all stops to Flushing, Main Street, Woodside and Penn Station.
Between 11:33 AM and 2:03 PM, 13 extra trains will depart from Penn Station to accommodate customers returning from the parade. Three of the extra trains will operate on the Babylon Branch, four will operate on the Ronkonkoma Branch, three will operate on the Port Washington Branch, two will operate on the Port Jefferson Branch and one will operate on the Montauk Branch to Speonk. Branch timetables dated November 15-December 12 contain regular eastbound departures from Penn Station, as well as the times of the extra trains.
Friday, November 26
Although LIRR trains will operate on a normal weekday schedule on Friday, November 26, off-peak fares will be in effect all day, making it more economical to travel to the city for holiday shopping and events.
For additional information, customers can contact the LIRR's Travel Information Center at 718-217-5477 (718-217-LIRR) or visit the LIRR's website at www.mta.info. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, use your preferred relay service provider or the free 711 relay to reach LIRR at 718-217-5477.