Spreading Holiday Cheer!
Once again, with great enthusiasm, the New York City Transit Department of Buses continues its holiday tradition of sharing joy and cheer with those less fortunate in New York City. Depot employees of our six Divisions – Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, Queens North, Queens South, and Staten Island – volunteer to collect and donate toys, coats, food, and other items for distribution to local hospitals and charity-based organizations.
Toys for Tots is a favorite charity of our employees! Toys for Tots is run by the United States Marine Corps Reserve which distributes toys to children whose parents cannot afford to buy them gifts for Christmas. The successful program was founded in 1947 by reservist Major Bill Hendricks and continues to grow in its mission and scope. Our depot employees generously donate zillions and zillions of toys for Toys for Tots!
Here are a few other examples of our employees’ good deeds, kindness and generosity…
- Mother Clara Hale Depot joins in the Toys for Tots drive, and Kingsbridge Depot’s toy collection was shared with the Jackie Robinson Community Center
- Spring Creek Depot employees participate in a food drive for St. John’s Bread of Life, a toy collection for Toys for Tots, and a coat drive for various churches and homeless shelters in the community
- Casey Stengel Depot employees donated over 200 coats to NY Cares
- Queens Village teamed up with Casey Stengel to donate toys, clothing, art supplies, and gift cards to St. Mary’s Children’s Hospital delivered by none other than bus operator Santa himself!
- Staten Island Division distributes toys to “Kids Against Cancer.”
- Charleston Depot bus 8179 was decked out by Yukon Depot employees who volunteered their time and artistic talents. The toy-filled “Santa’s Express” bus was driven by a Castleton bus operator to Staten Island Hospital and to Richmond University Medical Center. The “Santa Express” will also be delivering $1,000 worth of dog and cat food and treats to Staten Island Animal Care Center.
Darryl C. Irick, President, MTA Bus Company/Senior Vice President, NYC Transit Department of Buses, is delighted with the outpouring of holiday spirit…but he is not surprised. “I know firsthand how very kind our employees are. I am proud of everyone who participated in this year’s events. You have shown the true meaning of the season by giving so generously to those in need.”
Best wishes for a wonderful new year!