May 23, 2013
LIRR Service Update for the Memorial Day Weekend
Getaway Starts Friday with Extra PM Eastbound Service
MTA Long Island Rail Road will provide additional early-afternoon train service from Penn Station on Friday, May 24 for customers planning an early start to the Memorial Day Weekend with:
Extra Train Service from Penn Station on Friday, May 25
Port Jefferson Branch to Hicksville and Huntington
- 2:08 PM stopping at Jamaica, Mineola, then all stops to Huntington.
- 2:29 PM stopping at Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Jamaica, New Hyde Park, then all stops to Huntington.
- 3:24 PM stopping at Jamaica, Mineola, Westbury and Hicksville.
- 2:32 PM express to Lynbrook, and then all stops to Babylon.
- 3:00 PM stopping at Jamaica, Rockville Centre, and then all stops to Babylon.
- 3:31 PM express to Rockville Centre, and then all stops to Babylon.
Port Washington Branch to Great Neck
- 3:40 PM stopping at Woodside, Flushing Main St., and then all stops to Great Neck.
Far Rockaway Branch
- 3:48 PM express to Locust Manor then all stops to Far Rockaway.
Montauk Branch (Penn Station to Jamaica with Montauk Connections)
- 1:43 PM to Jamaica, with a Montauk train connection.
- 5:21 PM train from Ronkonkoma to Yaphank is extended on Friday making all stops to Greenport.
The Cannonball & Other Trains to Hamptons & Montauk, Friday, May 24
Due to the overwhelming response, the LIRR’s new Cannonball – all set to depart at 4:07 PM from Track 19 at Penn Station on Friday and travel express to Westhampton Station - is expected to be at full capacity with every seat in coach class taken along with the allowable number of standees. So please get there early to allow extra time for boarding.
Hamptons Reserve Sold Out
In addition, the two Cannonball cars devoted to the Railroad’s Hamptons Reserve Service are already sold out. If you do not have a confirmed seat you will not be permitted to board Hamptons Reserve cars. Please understand that for safety reasons we will need to restrict boarding if and when the train reaches capacity.
12 Other Friday Trains to Hamptons & Montauk:
LIRR customers bound for the Hamptons and Montauk who do not make it onto the Cannonball should plan on taking the next scheduled whether at Penn Station, Hunterspoint Ave. Station or Jamaica Station. Those customers have the following options available to them between 7:40 AM and 8 PM.
Departing from Penn Station
- The 7:49 AM from Penn Station arrives at Montauk at 10:51 AM.
- The 11:05 AM from Penn Station arrives at Montauk at 2:15 PM. (Change at Jamaica)
- The 1:43 PM from Penn Station arrives at Montauk at 4:45 PM.
- The 4:07 PM Cannonball Express from Penn Station. First stop Westhampton
- The 4:19 PM from Penn Station arrives at Montauk at 7:34 PM. (Change at Jamaica)
- The 5:09 PM from Penn Station arrives at Montauk at 8:29 PM
- The 5:51 PM from Penn Station Avenue arrives at Montauk at 9:07 PM (Change at Jamaica)
- The 7:11 PM from Penn Station arrives Montauk at 10:10 PM. (Change at Jamaica)
- The 8:30 PM from Penn Station arrives at Montauk at 11:57 PM. (Change at Jamaica)
Departing from Hunterspoint Avenue Station
- The 1:49 PM from Hunterspoint Avenue arrives at Montauk at 4:45 PM.
- The 4:30 PM from Hunterspoint Avenue arrives at Montauk at 7:34 PM
- The 5:12 PM from Hunterspoint Avenue arrives at Montauk at 8:29 PM (Change at Jamaica)
- The 5:47 PM from Hunterspoint Avenue arrives at Montauk at 9:07 PM (Change at Jamaica)
- The 6:41 PM from Hunterspoint Avenue arrives at Montauk at 10:10 PM (Change at Jamaica)
Escorted Rail-Bus Package Tour to Calverton National Cemetary Sat., May 25
MTA Long Island Rail Road is once again ready to provide transportation directly to Calverton National Cemetery for those who wish to visit the final resting place of their loved ones. This special Calverton travel package will be available on Saturday, May 25 and includes round-trip rail and bus transportation. The trip will also include a brief stop beforehand at an area florist so that travelers may purchase flowers as well as coffee or tea. Once inside the cemetery, shuttle busses will stop at pre-selected sections, enabling visitors to reach their sites quickly.
This is not a sightseeing tour, but an escorted rail/bus package that includes discounted round trip rail fare from Penn Station, Woodside, Atlantic Terminal, or Jamaica and air-conditioned motor coach bus transportation to the cemetery. Customers are advised to provide their own lunch, as eating facilities are not available at Calverton. Tickets are $37.75 for adults and $30.50 for children ages 5-11. Tickets are available at LIRR ticket windows and ticket machines.
The special Calverton trains will leave Penn Station at 9:12 AM, stopping at Woodside at 9:24 AM and Jamaica at 9:35 AM before continuing on to Ronkonkoma where customers will board air-conditioned motor coaches to complete the trip to the cemetery. Brooklyn customers should take the 8:45 AM train from Atlantic Terminal to connect with the Ronkonkoma bound train at Jamaica. In the afternoon, the buses will transport customers back to Ronkonkoma where they will board a train scheduled to arrive at Penn Station at 4:59 PM. Brooklyn customers must change at Jamaica for a Brooklyn-bound train.
Memorial Day, Monday, May 27
On Memorial Day, Monday May 27, the Long Island Rail Road will operate on a Sunday schedule.
For More Information
The LIRR appreciates your business and thanks you in advance for your patience. We will do everything possible to accommodate all customers. For more information, customers can contact the LIRR's Customer Service Center by calling 511, the New York State Travel Information Line, and saying: Long Island Rail Road. Customers can also visit the LIRR’s website at www.mta.info/lirr. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, use your preferred relay service provider for the free 711 relay to reach LIRR at 511.