The MTA is urging Long Island Rail Road customers in New York City to plan to leave for eastbound trips in the early afternoon, before the brunt of the forecast snowstorm begins to hit the region.
For the safety of customers, the LIRR will suspend service if snow accumulations reach between 10-13 inches. Crews will be out in force to clear tracks and the third rail used to power electric trains.
“We urge LIRR customers to take advantage of our extra afternoon Eastbound service and leave the city early before the worst of the storm hits,” said LIRR President Helena Williams. “This is a serious storm, so it's best to get home early and avoid traveling as conditions worsen.”
In order to assist customers traveling in the afternoon, the LIRR will supplement the usual weekday schedule with eight additional eastbound departures, as follows:
- The 2:32 PM train from Penn Station due in Babylon at 3:45 PM, running express to Lynbrook and then all local stops to Babylon.
- The 3:00 PM train from Penn Station due in Babylon at 4:12 PM with stops at Jamaica and Rockville Centre and then all local stops to Babylon.
- The 3:31 PM train from Penn Station due in Babylon at 4:39 PM, running express to Rockville Centre and then all local stops to Babylon
Port Jefferson Branch
- The 1:46 PM train from Jamaica due in Port Jefferson at 3:37 PM.
- The 2:09 PM train from Penn Station due in Huntington at 3:09 PM with stops at Jamaica and Carle Place and then all local stops to Huntington
- The 2:29 PM train from Penn Station due in Huntington at 3:35 PM with stops at Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Jamaica, New Hyde Park and then all local stops to Huntington.
- The 3:24 PM train from Penn Station due in Hicksville at 4:05 PM with stops at Jamaica, Mineola Westbury and Hicksville.
Port Washington Branch
- The 3:40 PM train from Penn Station due in Great Neck at 4:15 PM with stops at Woodside, Flushing Main St. and then all stops to Great Neck.
Far Rockaway Branch
- The 3:48 PM train from Penn Station due in Far Rockaway at 4:43 PM running express to Locust Manor and then all stops to Far Rockaway.
For More Information
For the latest information on train service, customers should go to www.mta.info or monitor LIRR service alerts via email. Customers can also call 511, the New York State Travel Information line, and say: Long Island Rail Road. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, use your preferred relay service provider or the free 711 relay to reach LIRR at 511.