May 15, 2013
New LIRR Schedules Go into Effect Monday, May 20
Highlights Include Debut of Hamptons Cannonball Non-Stop from Penn Station
New MTA Long Island Rail Road timetables will go into effect on Monday, May 20 with enhanced service to the East End and Montauk as well as the stations on the branch that serve Fire Island. Highlighting the Montauk Branch improvements will be the debut on Friday afternoon May 24 of the newest LIRR Cannonball, the train that will run non-stop from Penn Station to the Hamptons for the first time in LIRR history.
The new Cannonball will be the fastest way to the Hamptons, departing Penn Station on Friday afternoons at 4:07 PM. First stop is Westhampton at 5:41 PM, then Southampton, Bridgehampton, East Hampton and Montauk. That’s a one-seat ride from Midtown to Montauk with reserved seating available for an extra charge. To complete the round-trip, the LIRR is introducing a westbound Cannonball on Sunday evenings, bringing customers from Montauk to Penn Station, including a non-stop run from Westhampton to Jamaica and then on to Penn.
Good News for Those Heading to Fire Island, Too!
The new Cannonball is part of a larger effort to improve Montauk service to meet growing demand on the branch. Customers traveling to Fire Island and take the LIRR to Bay Shore, Sayville or Patchogue to connect with ferry service to the barrier beach will now have extra options. On weekdays, a new eastbound train to Speonk will depart Jamaica at 12:43 PM. In addition, a westbound weekday train that previously originated from Patchogue will now begin its trip from Speonk at 3:05 PM. These new trains will run weekdays from late May through mid-October to close a gap in afternoon service.
Weekend Service to North Fork and Greenport Resumes for Summer
In addition to the regular daily train service to and from Greenport, the LIRR is resuming Saturday and Sunday service for the summer season, beginning May 25 and running through October 13, with two eastbound trains and two westbound trains each day. That means easy access to the North Fork town of Riverhead and villages of Mattituck, Southold and Greenport, an area that offers a relaxed, scenic escape to hamlets that together comprise a world-class wine region.
Extra Trains at Atlantic Terminal for Late Night Barclays Center Events
The LIRR continues to meet the demand for train service to the new Barclays Center in Brooklyn by adding four, late night eastbound trains to the schedule on any night – weekday or weekend - in which events at the arena end between 10 PM and midnight.
Pick Up a New Timetable
All of the latest service changes are detailed in newly printed, branch timetables covering the period Monday, May 20, 2013 through Sunday, September 2, 2013. The new timetables are available at LIRR stations and can also be viewed on the MTA website at www.mta.info/lirr.
We Are Working on the Railroad
The new LIRR schedules include other changes – largely during off-peak hours and on weekends - to accommodate ongoing construction projects such including East Side Access, new lighting in Brooklyn's Atlantic Avenue tunnel, track replacement on the Babylon Branch between Wantagh and Amityville, and railroad tie replacement on the Oyster Bay Branch. Here is a branch-by-branch rundown of the key service changes for the May 20 - September 2 period.
- Hamptons Cannonball: The LIRR fastest service to the East End of Long Island is originating for the first time from Penn Station and running express to the Hamptons, departing from Track 19 every Friday at 4:07 PM.
- Jamaica to Speonk: An additional weekday train will depart Jamaica at 12:43 PM.
- Speonk to Jamaica: A train that previously started at Patchogue will now begin its run at Speonk weekdays at 3:05 PM.
- Cannonball West: Montauk to Penn Station on Sunday evenings, departing Montauk at 6:37 PM, including a non-stop run from Westhampton to Jamaica.
Main Line: Riverhead to Greenport
Single main track will be out of service between Riverhead and Greenport from 9 AM to 3 PM from Monday, May 20 through Friday, May 24 to accommodate the renewal of grade crossings in Mattituck at Sound Ave., Westphalia Ave., Wickham Ave. and Mary's Road.
- Customers will disembark at Riverhead and board buses for stations Mattituck through Greenport. Customers may arrive at their final destination up to 10 minutes later.
- Customers will board buses at stations Greenport through Mattituck up to 11 minutes later than usual for Riverhead where train service will resume.
Oyster Bay Branch
Single main track will be out of service between Locust Valley and Oyster Bay midday weekdays from May 20 to June 21, 2013 for tie replacement.
- Customers will disembark at Locust Valley and board vans for Oyster Bay Station. Customers will arrive up to 10 minutes later than normal.
- Customers will board vans at Oyster Bay Station up to 9 minutes earlier than usual for Locust Valley where train service will resume.
Weekend and weekday overnight single track outage from East New York to Jamaica. On weeknights between midnight and 2 AM trains and their connections will be adjusted between 5 and 10 minutes for tie replacement work. On weekend's trains and their connections are adjusted from 2 to 10 minutes for tie work between Jamaica and East New York in Brooklyn.
For More Information
Customers can pick up the new timetables or consult the LIRR website or call 511, the New York State Travel Information Line and say “Long Island Rail Road.” If you are deaf or hard of hearing, use your preferred relay service provider on the free 711 relay to reach the LIRR at 511. For the most up-to-day information on train service, sign up for LIRR E-alerts and text messages at www.mymtaalerts.com