MTA Long Island Rail Road has scheduled nineteen extra trains, ninewestbound and teneastbound, for those traveling to and from the New York City St. Patrick’s Day Parade on Saturday, March 16. The additional trains will supplement the LIRR’s regular weekend schedule.
In an effort to maintain orderly travel for our customers on St. Patrick's Day weekend, the LIRR is banning alcohol systemwide from 12:01 AM on Saturday through 5 AM Sunday, March 17. Any alcoholic beverages found by MTA Police on trains, stations and platforms will be confiscated by MTA Police.
LIRR customers can buy round trip tickets including MetroCards for connecting subway and bus service in advance in order to save time and avoid lines at LIRR ticket windows and ticket machines and New York City Transit MetroCard windows and ticket machines.
Regular weekend, off-peak fares are in effect, including the special Family Fare discount and CityTicket. Under the Family Fare program, up to four children, ages 5-11, can ride trains that day for $1 each (one-way) when accompanied by a fare-paying parent or guardian. Current weekly and monthly ticket holders just pay for the kids. Children under five ride free.
The special weekend CityTicket is also available – just $4 (one way) for travel within New York City on LIRR trains on Saturdays/Sundays. The CityTicket must be purchased at ticket windows or ticket machines located in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens; it cannot be bought on board trains. CityTicket is not valid for travel to or from Far Rockaway Station.
Extra-Trains for NYC St. Patrick’s Day Parade on Saturday, March 16
The following trains are being added to the regular weekend schedule:
Westbound to Penn Station
- Three additional trains leave Wantagh at 8:37 AM, 9:41 AM and 10:22 AM.
Port Washington Branch
- Three additional trains leave Port Washington at 10:10, AM 11:10 AM and 12:10 PM, making all local stops to Flushing-Main St., then Woodside and Penn Station.
- Three additional trains leave Ronkonkoma at 7:18 AM, 8:18 AM and 9:18 AM, making all local stops to Mineola, then New Hyde Park, Jamaica, Woodside and Penn Station.
Eastbound from Penn Station
- Three additional trains depart Penn Station at 2:28 PM, 2:58 PM and 3:58 PM, stopping at Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Jamaica, and Lynbrook, then all local stops to Babylon.
Port Washington Branch
- Three additional trains depart Penn Station at 3:37 PM, 4:37 PM and 5:48 PM, stopping at Woodside, Flushing-Main St., and then all local stops to Port Washington.
- Four additional trains depart Penn Station at 2:47 PM, 3:47 PM, 4:47 PM, 5:47 PM stopping at Woodside, Jamaica, Mineola, Hicksville, and then all local stops to Ronkonkoma.
For More Information
For the latest information on train service, customers should go to www.mta.info or monitor LIRR service alerts via email or text message. Customers can also call 511, the New York State Travel Information line, and say: Long Island Rail Road. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, use your preferred relay service provider or the free 711 relay to reach LIRR at 511