MTA (Metropolitan Transportation Authority) Metro-North Railroad has established procedures for New Haven Line customers weekly and monthly ticket holders who were inconvenienced by the September 25 power failure to obtain credits for their future ticket purchases.
The MTA Board authorized these credits at a special meeting October 1, to compensate for the significant disruption caused by a Con Edison power outage to an eight-mile stretch in the heart of the line. The magnitude and duration of the impact of this non-weather related event make this disruption unique in the history of the MTA and Metro-North.
Full service to the New Haven Line will be restored Monday morning, assuming the new substation which received Con Edison power today is found reliable during testing over the weekend. The credit will be a prorated amount, based on the ultimate duration of the service interruption. Exact credit amounts will be provided shortly and will be based on ticket type and purchase price for each fare zone.
Customers holding weekly tickets valid during this time period can begin applying for this credit October 9. Customers with monthly tickets for September and October can begin applying for this credit October 20 when November monthly tickets go on sale.
Monthly customers who hold both a September and October ticket are urged to apply for this credit for both tickets at the same time. Therefore, for customer convenience, Metro-North will honor New Haven Line November monthly tickets for travel beginning October 20.
Customers holding a monthly ticket with a MetroCard, may wish to submit their credit request at a later time if there is still value on the MetroCard. Metro-North ticket windows cannot transfer MetroCard value. The MetroCard value can only be transferred to another card at subway station booths.
Mail&Ride customers will have this credit automatically applied to their December ticket. WebTicket customers should visit a ticket window in order to receive this credit.
Any customer with a monthly or weekly ticket for transportation during this period must surrender their ticket in order to receive this credit.
Customers can apply for this credit until March 31, 2014.
There will be no processing fee charged for these credit transactions.
Metro-North will open more ticket windows with extended hours at select outlying New Haven Line stations and in Grand Central Terminal.
Credit Processing for Weekly Tickets Begins October 9
• Weekly tickets will be accepted for credit from October 9 to March 31, 2014 at all New Haven Line and Grand Central ticket windows.
• Tickets valid for the weeks of September 21 to 27 and September 28 to October 4 can be submitted for credit toward the purchase of a future ticket. (This will be adjusted to reflect the actual date of full restoration of service.)
• Customers will be required to surrender their ticket at a ticket office to apply the credit.
Credit Processing for Monthly Tickets Begins October 20
• Monthly tickets will be accepted for credit from October 20 to March 31, 2014 at all New Haven Line & Grand Central ticket windows.
• Monthly tickets for September and October will be prorated for the cost of the rail service portion ONLY for the period of time affected by the Con Ed power outage.
• September and October monthly tickets can be submitted individually or combined for a credit toward the purchase of one monthly ticket.
• All monthly ticket customers are urged to purchase their November ticket early. If customers submit both their October and September monthly tickets for credit toward their November ticket, in this case only, the New Haven Line November ticket will be valid starting October 20th.
• Customers will be required to surrender their September and October monthly tickets at a ticket office to apply the credit.