On Monday, March 18, MTA New York City Transit brings FASTRACK to Queens on the E F M R Line. There will be no service on the E between Roosevelt Avenue and World Trade Center and no service on the F between Roosevelt Avenue and 21st Street-Queensbridge from 10 p.m. until 5 a.m., for four consecutive weeknights from Monday, March 18 to early Friday morning, March 22. Customers may take the 7 N or free shuttle buses as alternatives. Also, customers coming from Manhattan who normally ride the E or M to Court Square can instead take the 7.
Trains will operate as follows:
- E in Queens only between Jamaica Center and 74th Street/Roosevelt Avenue
F in two sections:
- 1. Between 179th Street and Roosevelt Avenue and
- 2. Between Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue and 21st Street-Queensbridge.
- M service ends early each night and the M shuttle operates between Metropolitan and Myrtle Avenues all night.
- R service ends early each night and the R shuttle operates in Brooklyn between 95th Street and 36th Street all night.
As alternatives customers may:
- Take the 7 between Manhattan and 74th Street-Roosevelt Avenue or Queensboro Plaza
- Take the N between Manhattan and Queensboro Plaza
- In Manhattan, transfer at 5th Avenue/42nd Street-Bryant Park 7 F, Times Square-42nd Street/42nd Street-Port Authority 7 A, and 34th Street-Herald Square F N
- In Manhattan along 8th Avenue, take the A local instead of the E
- Take free shuttle buses running LOCAL between Queensboro Plaza and 74th Street-Roosevelt Avenue making station stops at Queens Plaza, 36th Street, Steinway Street, 46th Street, Northern Blvd and 65th Street
- In Queens, transfer between shuttle buses and trains at 74th Street-Roosevelt Avenue 7 E F or Queensboro Plaza 7 N
FASTRACK was introduced in January 2012, devoting four straight weeknights to perform maintenance work in tunnels, stations and on tracks, completely suspending service within a given line segment for a seven-hour period between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. This gives free access to the system, allowing an army of maintenance workers to perform dozens of tasks without the concern of having to “clear up” to allow trains to pass.
The new FASTRACK corridors for 2013 include: the Broadway N Q R south of Queensboro Plaza to Court Street; the A line between 168th Street and 207th Street in Upper Manhattan, the D Concourse Line between 161st and 205th Street; and the Lexington Avenue 4 5 6 local and express lines between Grand Central-42nd Street and 125th Street.
FASTRACK projects are also scheduled for the Sixth/Eighth Avenue Lines (A B C D) between 59th Street-Columbus Circle and 168th Street-Broadway and 161st Street; Nassau Street-Broad Street-Essex Street on the J; the Fourth Avenue line (D N R) between 36th Street and 95th Street in Brooklyn and the 2 along Nostrand Avenue between Franklin and Flatbush Avenues.
These FASTRACK efforts have been designed around the careful determination that there is adequate alternate means of transportation, including enhanced services along some bus lines during work periods. Alternative transportation options will be detailed in announcements and posters on trains, in stations and on selected buses; brochures will be available in both English and Spanish. Information on this FASTRACK is available on the web at http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/fastrack_EFMR.htm.
Our next FASTRACK overnight closure will be 4 5 6 local service between Grand Central-42nd Street and 125th Street from March 25-29, 2013. (Trains will run express between Grand Central-42nd Street and 125th Street in both directions.)