May 20, 2014
MTA Announces Getaway Service for Memorial Day Weekend
LIRR & Metro-North to Provide Extra Service on Friday, May 23
Memorial Day is coming on Monday, May 26, which means the MTA will add extra trains on Friday, May 23, to help New Yorkers get an early start on the long three-day weekend. On Memorial Day, all MTA services will operate on Sunday schedules. Details are below.
New York City Subway
On Memorial Day, Monday, May 26, the New York City Subway will operate on a Sunday schedule. Customers are reminded to use the
or instead of the and the instead of the . In addition, on Sundays, some subway routes are shortened. The following diversions are in effect on Memorial Day, through 5:00 a.m. Tuesday, May 27:
· trains are suspended between Flatbush Av and Franklin Av in both directions. Free shuttle buses will make all station stops between those two stations.
· trains are suspended. trains and free shuttle buses provide alternate service.
· trains are suspended between Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr and Crown Hts-Utica Av. trains and free shuttle buses provide alternate service.
· trains skip 88 St and 104 St Queens-bound.
· and trains run local in both directions between Forest Hills-71 Av and Queens Plaza and 36 St.
· trains are rerouted on the line Queens-bound between 47-50 St-Rock Ctr and Queens Plaza.
· trains run every 20 minutes between Bedford-Nostrand Avs and Court Sq. Alternate trains terminate at Bedford-Nostrand Avs.
· trains are suspended between Broadway Junction and Marcy Av. Free shuttle buses will
make all station stops between those two stations.
· trains are suspended. Transfer between trains and free shuttle buses at Marcy Av.
· trains skip Parkside Avenue, Beverley Road, and Cortelyou Road southbound.
Long Island Rail Road
To help customers get a head start on the long weekend, MTA Long Island Rail Road will provide eight additional early-afternoon train service from Penn Station on Friday, May 23, on the Babylon, Port Jefferson, Port Washington and Far Rockaway Branches.
For details, click here for Long Island Rail Road press release.
To help customers get a head start on the long weekend, Metro-North is offering 18 extra early getaway trains from Grand Central Terminal on Friday, May 23, on the Hudson, Harlem and New Haven Lines.
For details, click here for Metro-North Railroad press release.
MTA Bridges and Tunnels
MTA Bridges and Tunnels will suspend all scheduled maintenance work beginning 1 p.m. on Friday, May 23, through the end of the morning rush on Tuesday, May 27, to accommodate motorists traveling throughout the busy travel weekend. Motorists can ease their trip by using E-ZPass.
Staten Island Railway
MTA Staten Island Railway will operate its Early Departure Get Away schedule on Friday, May 23. This schedule means extra SIR trains will be added earlier in the afternoon beginning at 2:30 p.m. from the St. George Ferry Terminal. There will be one express train and one local train awaiting every boat until 7:50 p.m. The Early Departure Get Away service plan on SIR is also available on Tuesday, July 3 (before Independence Day), Labor Day weekend, Christmas and New Year’s. It will also operate on the day before Thanksgiving.
For all services, customers are encouraged to visit www.mta.info for “Current Service Changes” and “Planned Service Changes.” They may subscribe to our free email or text message alerts or use Tripplanner+ to plan their rides.