The Metropolitan Transportation Authority and MTA New York City Transit today announced the opening of the new West 72nd Street subway station headhouse for the No. 1, 2, 3, and 9 lines, which services more than 31,000 subway riders daily.
The new masonry and glass building, situated on the north side of West 72nd Street adjacent to Verdi Park, is part of a $59 million renovation project at the station.
The opening of the new fare control building is the first phase of the overall project to renovate the 72nd Street station, which was first opened in 1904 as part of the original IRT subway. Four new, wider platform stairs have been added, and the existing platforms have been lengthened between 30 and 45 feet. Repairs, upgrades, and other modifications have been made to the station's original structural, mechanical, and electrical elements.
Construction work on the station, performed by NAB Construction and NYCT Maintenance of Way forces, also includes complete ADA accessibility through the construction of two new elevators, accessible token booths, toilet rooms, handrails, graphics, and platform warning strips. In addition, Verdi Park will be expanded to include a new pedestrian plaza in the northbound lanes of Broadway between 72nd and 73rd Streets.
Enclosed in highly visible glass and exposed steel structure, the headhouse is crowned with a copper roof and a vaulted center spine of mosaic glass panels by artist Robert Hickman commissioned by MTA Arts for Transit.
As part of the overall project, the landmark headhouse designed in 1904 by Heins & Lafarge, will be restored to its original condition. Staircases in the south entrance will be widened and an uptown to downtown transfer will be provided. During construction, the south entrance will be closed until Spring 2003.