On Monday, June 3, MTA New York City Transit brings FASTRACK back to Queens on the Line. There will be no service on the between Roosevelt Avenue and World Trade Center and no service on the between Roosevelt Avenue and 21st Street-Queensbridge from 10 p.m. until 5 a.m., for four consecutive weeknights from Monday, June 3 to early Friday morning, June 7. Customers may take the , or free shuttle buses as alternatives. Also, customers coming from Manhattan who normally ride the or to Court Square can instead take the .
The previous FASTRACK on the Queens Boulevard line took place earlier this year in March. At that time, workers scraped and cleaned 14,600 linear feet of track, replaced 272 tie blocks, inspected 31,730 feet of third rail, serviced 13 signals, repaired or replaced 315 linear feet of handrail, cleared 1,550 linear feet of track drain, performed maintenance at three pump rooms and sealed 55 leaks.
During this FASTRACK, trains will operate as follows:
- in Queens only between Jamaica Center and 74th Street/Roosevelt Avenue
in two sections:
- 1. Between 179th Street and Roosevelt Avenue and
- 2. Between Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue and 21st Street-Queensbridge.
- service ends early each night and the shuttle operates between Metropolitan and Myrtle Avenues all night.
- service ends early each night and the shuttle operates in Brooklyn between 95th Street and 36th Street all night.
As alternatives customers may:
- Take the between Manhattan and 74th Street-Roosevelt Avenue or Queensboro Plaza
- Take the between Manhattan and Queensboro Plaza
- In Manhattan, transfer at 5th Avenue/42nd Street-Bryant Park , Times Square-42nd Street/42nd Street-Port Authority , and 34th Street-Herald Square
- In Manhattan along 8th Avenue, take the local instead of the
- Take free shuttle buses running LOCAL between Queensboro Plaza and 74th Street-Roosevelt Avenue making station stops at Queens Plaza, 36th Street, Steinway Street, 46th Street, Northern Blvd and 65th Street
- In Queens, transfer between shuttle buses and trains at 74th Street-Roosevelt Avenue or Queensboro Plaza
FASTRACK was introduced in January 2012, devoting four straight weeknights to perform maintenance work in tunnels, stations and on tracks, completely suspending service within a given line segment for a seven-hour period between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. This gives free access to the system, allowing an army of maintenance workers to perform dozens of tasks without the concern of having to “clear up” to allow trains to pass.
These FASTRACK efforts have been designed around the careful determination that there is adequate alternate means of transportation, including enhanced services along some bus lines during work periods. Alternative transportation options will be detailed in announcements and posters on trains, in stations and on selected buses; brochures will be available in both English and Spanish. Information on this FASTRACK is available on the web at http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/fastrack_EFMR.htm.
Our next FASTRACK overnight closure will be from June 10 to 14 on the line between 168th Street and 207th Street-Inwood.