May 9, 2014
MTA Extends Bus and Staten Island Railway Service
Buses and Train Runs Added to Coordinate With Increased Ferry Service
MTA New York City Transit is increasing service on buses and the Staten Island Railway (SIR) to meet ridership demand as a result of service enhancements on the Staten Island Ferry. Service on NYC Transit buses and SIR is timed to meet each ferry arrival and departure whenever possible.
The Staten Island Ferry (operated by NYCDOT) recently finalized a new schedule to comply with legislation passed late last year by the NYC Council mandating an increase in the service frequency on the Staten Island Ferry (from 60 minutes to 30 minutes) on weekend evenings (between approximately 8:00 p.m. and 2:00 a.m.).
Starting tomorrow, May 10, NYCDOT will add ferry departures at the following times:
- Saturdays from St. George: 1:30 a.m., 7:30 p.m., 8:30 p.m., 9:30 p.m., 10:30 p.m., 11:30 p.m.
- Saturdays from Manhattan: 2:00 a.m., 8:00 p.m., 9:00 p.m., 10:00 p.m., 11:00 p.m.
- Sundays from St. George: 12:30 a.m., 1:30 a.m., 7:30 p.m., 8:30 p.m., 9:30 p.m., 10:30 p.m., 11:30 p.m.
- Sundays from Manhattan: 12:00 a.m., 1:00 a.m., 2:00 a.m., 8:00 p.m., 9:00 p.m., 10:00 p.m., 11:00 p.m.
In order to meet this increased ferry service, MTA New York City Transit will add the following train and bus trips:
NYC Transit Bus
NYC Transit bus routes affected by these changes are the S40, S46, S48, S51, S52, S62, S74, and S78.
- On Saturdays, 14 new bus trips will be added to meet the expanded ferry frequency;
- On Sundays, 36 new bus trips will be added.
Staten Island Railway
The Staten Island Railway will add three additional round trips on Saturdays, and five on Sundays to meet the expanded frequency.
The most up-to-date information on MTA service status is always available at www.mta.info. For immediate notice of service changes, sign up for email or text alerts at www.mymtaalerts.com. For weekend subway service changes, visit www.mta.info/weekender.